Difficult but Necessary Conversations
This 1 day workshop will assist the manager/ worker/ staff member to understand and demonstrate the skills, techniques and model in having difficult but necessary conversations.
A difficult but necessary conversation is anything you find hard to talk about but know that you need to. The issue is often how to start sensitive conversations that will invite open and constructive dialogue. When interactions become difficult, emotions often escalate and communication can break down. We often fear having the difficult conversation as we are concerned that we may make the situation worse – so we may try to avoid it or if we know we have to have it, we may try and blunder through it. This course will provide the necessary understanding, skills and confidence to manage the discussion effectively. The difficult conversation in the workplace will be necessary for the manager with employees, between colleagues and with clients or students. It is also applicable for challenging interpersonal conversations. This course will explore the difficult conversation utilising the Harvard Negotiation Project model.
On completing the 1-day course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate the Harvard Negotiation Project model including the initial ‘what happened’, feeling & identity conversations; and, the subsequent transformative learning conversation.
- Demonstrate how to start sensitive conversations that invites constructive dialogue and builds open communication.Know the importance of your purpose in a Difficult Conversation.
- Learn to have Difficult Conversations from a collaborative mindset (including the concepts of the ‘And’ Stance, impact & intention and contribution) rather than from a battle of messages.
- Understand and incorporate the distinction between curiosity vs. certainty into Difficult Conversations.
- Learn how to deal with challenges in Difficult Conversations.
- Create mutually satisfying outcomes by utilising a learning conversation to encourage collaborative negotiation and problem-solving.
- Gain greater confidence in having Difficult Conversations.